• Home
  • About Chiba
  • What to do
  • Areas
  • Plan your trip
  • Transportation
  • Travel Tips

Home > Advanced Search > Tanjoh-ji

Main article starts here.

Tanjoh-ji

In commemoration of the birth of Nichiren (a Buddhist monk) in Kominato on February 16, 1222 and his efforts to nurse his sick mother for revival, this temple was constructed in October 1276 by Nikka, a disciple of Nichiren, at the site of Nichiren’s house.

After the two disasters caused by a big earthquake and a big tsunami, the temple was transferred to the present location, but it was burned down in a catastrophic fire in 1758.

The present Soshido (the great founder’s temple) was reconstructed in 1846.

The Niomon (Deva gate) is the oldest building (1706) in this temple. Documents of authorization were presented by the Satomis and the Tokugawas.

It became a place for court nobles to offer a prayer in the Meiji period.

Basic Information

Transportation

Other Information

This information is information as of September 17, 2014.